untitled (red green)

1999
oil on linen, 87 x 127.5 cm (framed)


I'm fond of this canvas with it's play of red and green floating over a soft grey background. At this moment I had a studio in an old dusty, chilly outbuilding on the farm where I was working. It was very dark but I'd set up some daylight fluorescent tubes in one corner with a wooden frame to hold the canvases below. I began to work on some more figurative paintings based on photographs alongside my abstract works. I took my time over the paintings, leaving the under-paintings hanging on the wall for a period before reworking them. Perhaps in this case it was the darkness of the studio that made me go at the canvas with pure red and green straight from the tube.


Studio at Lyne Farm in 1999. Working on "Still-Life, Le Plessis-Robinson", (Private collection).

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Estudio de la pintura, Spanish for "Painting Studio" is a selection of paintings by artist CHARLES OLSEN. All these works are available for sale and can be viewed by appointment in Aylesbury, England (unless stated otherwise). Please contact the artist at: info@charlesolsen.es

You can see Olsen's latest work on his website www.charlesolsen.es