Maitai

2001
oil on linen, 91.5 x 101.5 cm (framed)



The Maitai is a river running through Nelson which has popular swimming holes in the summer. During my exhibition in Wellington a friend gave me Maurice Gee's novel "The Burning Boy" to read. It's descriptions of Nelson reminded me of my stay there and in particular his description of the green algae filled waters of the Maitai during an especially dry summer. The colours and depth in this canvas reminded me of the shady green waters of the Maitai.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Estudio de la pintura, Spanish for "Painting Studio" is a selection of paintings by artist CHARLES OLSEN. All these works are available for sale and can be viewed by appointment in Aylesbury, England (unless stated otherwise). Please contact the artist at: info@charlesolsen.es

You can see Olsen's latest work on his website www.charlesolsen.es