Portrait of the artist's grandfather Anthony Lownds Izard

1992
oil on paper mounted on board, 90 x 114 cm (framed behind glass)



In the summer of 1991 I returned to New Zealand for the first time since leaving in 1981. I hitchhiked around the North and South Islands and spent some time with my grandparents in Nelson. I kept a travel sketchbook and did drawings of them which I used later in paintings.

Here my grandfather looks out perhaps through a window at the landscape reflected in the glass. He is surrounded by a collage of landscapes in unrealistic colours. A dominant figure seen like an apparition inhabiting a space both natural and unreal.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Estudio de la pintura, Spanish for "Painting Studio" is a selection of paintings by artist CHARLES OLSEN. All these works are available for sale and can be viewed by appointment in Aylesbury, England (unless stated otherwise). Please contact the artist at: info@charlesolsen.es

You can see Olsen's latest work on his website www.charlesolsen.es