Cityscape

1993
oil on canvas, 143 x 143 cm
Private Collection



One of my larger canvases, for me this reflects the frenetic life of the city. Black and red were dominating my canvases at this time. Perhaps at the top a pale sky is just visible - a quiet space almost blocked out by the veils of black. I was particularly interested in experimenting with layers of thin paint and letting the textures beneath break through. Also how turpentine removed the pigment as it ran or sometimes I would scrape or wash off areas I had painted. The watercolour sketchbook I was working on at the time is below, which also includes watercolours painted while working on the canvas "The Bull".


0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Estudio de la pintura, Spanish for "Painting Studio" is a selection of paintings by artist CHARLES OLSEN. All these works are available for sale and can be viewed by appointment in Aylesbury, England (unless stated otherwise). Please contact the artist at: info@charlesolsen.es

You can see Olsen's latest work on his website www.charlesolsen.es